Thursday, January 17, 2013

Joy

For a few days I've meant to sit down and write some thoughts about the first year of marriage. About how it's beautiful and challenging at the same time, about how in the OT men were told to stay home with their wives for a year, about how we as a couple decided to put off doing ministry for at least a year. But today, everything has changed...



Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. (Psalms 37:4)

I want to be up front right now and say boldly that THIS is a miracle. And not just your normal "children are a miracle" miracle. This is the "can't get pregnant" miracle. Many years ago, and in a different life, I tried with everything I had to get pregnant:

Some of you know what it is to hear a doctor tell you that what is supposed to work effortlessly is broken. To stare at an ultrasound screen and see that the medication failed. To hold your breath after 28 days only to be crushed when mother nature reminds you again that the most basic of biological functions is a foreign concept. To undergo tests and procedures, only to be told that everything is fine structurally. To try, and try, and just be SAD because maybe you'll never know what it is to conceive a child, and feel it growing, and to see the blessing of a miracle when you look at that child's face.
There is a magnificence to this reality. God is sovereign, and He loves to give us the most amazing gifts. Of all the miracles He's done in my life, this is by far the greatest yet. My heart sings in understanding of Mary:

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior...For He who is mighty has done great thins for me. And holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation. (Luke 1:46-55)

Never, ever, ever, ever stop believing that God can do miracles <3

2 comments: