Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Power of Prayer

I sat down today with my friends Eric and Christine Ruby and had a healing prayer session. Notice how I'm diving right into the good stuff today? It was so powerfully amazing! If you're never been through an intense prayer session, this may seem a little out there, but just stay with me. It begins by getting face to face in your relationship with our triune God, and for today's prayer, I was hanging out with Jesus. That sounds cool...I was hanging out with Jesus.




So, it's led by a series of questions that you ask of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit. Today began with establishing the solid relationship mentally, and then letting Jesus set the scene. Initially, I asked Him if there was anything He wanted to show me. Which resulted in overlooking a city, in which a building stood out. It took some time, but I finally came to realize that the building represented me as a person, and it was a tall building, with lots of levels. We began near the top, which is what He wanted to show me first. It was a room that represented HOPE, my current prayer life, relationship with God, and where I am now.

When I asked Him to show me what was next, He took me to level 5, which ended up being some anger that needed to be addressed. It wasn't my anger, it was someone else's towards me, but we managed to find a way to resolve it, that absolved me of the responsibility for that person's emotions. After we eradicated the negativity on that level, Jesus took me to level 2, which is what I really want to talk about. I knew before entering the door that something really bad was lurking there. I had to ask Jesus if I was safe, and how I should proceed. Before entering, I took His hand, to be with me.

As soon as I opened the door, it was just darkness. The kind which no light penetrates, like a forest at night, sinister, and filled with shadowy creatures in the corner of the room. It was the blackness of my depression. Through a series of questions, we identified a particular stronghold in the corner of the room. When I asked Him what it was, He told me it was DEATH. I had to look that power, the thoughts of suicide and destruction, in the face. I eventually walked up to it, and ordered it to leave, drawing upon the power of Jesus' name. Satan kept tugging at my mind, however, and I was unable to prevail. It was when Jesus walked over, and ordered it to go, that it immediately disappeared.

There were still more shadows in this room to battle. I addressed SHAME, and shone the light of truth on it to disable its power in my life. The final shadow was LIES, which I had bought into, leading to shame. This menace, we boxed up, and Jesus led me to the basement, where we tossed it into the incinerator. It was incredibly powerful, to feel the negative things that I have experienced lately leaving my life. To feel the complete healing power of God, through Jesus, in eradicating these powerful holds the devil had placed upon me.

I realize this may sound very odd to most people, but prayer can do so many things! It's power is undeniable. Prayer can create miracles, it can heal, it can meet our basic needs. Today's prayer was a very visual experience with God, in the form of Jesus, who stood by my side, held me when I was afraid, and battled the demons when I couldn't. It reminds me of the overwhelming power of our God.

The most surprising aspect, however, came on the way home from their house. Christine asked me to pray for her, to lay hands on her and pray about the pain in her mouth. I was skeptical, to be honest, but I did as she asked. I prayed, illustrating that pain and death only exist because of satan, that God's creation was perfect, and asked Him to take away the pain. She said her face got warm and the throbbing pain went away! The power of our God transcends even our skepticism sometimes!

Today was a GREAT day. Today was a day that is a testament and tribute to our wonderful Father, amazing Savior, and powerful Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment