Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What is a Heart?

A muscle that pumps our blood to the rest of our body? The seat of our emotions?

Both of those are accurate descriptions. Thank God that we have a life support system. There have been times in my life, though, that I was sure it was breaking. The pain that emanates sometimes from that general region of the body can be debilitating. I once described it as having it ripped out and a vat of acid in its place, seeping through the rest of my body. That was a long time ago, however.

So what does it mean to have a heart for God?

If you love Me, keep My commandments. -- John 14:15

Pretty simple, really. What will you do for God? What will you give for God? What will you give up for God? These three questions all make people look at you a little crazy...especially when you begin to do them. 

He who loves mother or father more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it. -- Matthew 10:37-39

I walked away from my family, from my job, from everything I've ever known. And I'm happy. Really, truly happy. I even eradicated an unhealthy relationship from my life, just last week, and I feel stronger and more powerful because of it. Living my life for God is what having a heart means to me. All of my joy, all of my strength, all of my purpose comes from the love I have for our Creator. I never knew life could be this perfect, in spite of the storms that swirl around me. In spite of the trials and difficulties I'm experiencing. In spite of the mistakes and rebukes I've received. 

My purpose remains to serve God. I have been set apart to help those who are hurting, and it brings me such a sense of fulfillment to do so. Mondays I spend with the women at Teen Challenge, and just knowing that my experiences in some way help them relate to me, that they listen to the Word, and participate in my seemingly crazy activities to get closer to God, makes me feel as if every bad day in my life was completely worth it. I used to say I would never go back and repeat the past, but knowing that God is using it to reach others makes me change that perspective. 

Sure, God gave us a heart to provide life, but He also gave us a heart to give LIFE. True life, true love, comes from the relationship we have with Him. From the most perfect love we could ever receive, and the most amazing relationship of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment