Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Would Rather

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.--Philippians 3:14

This is one of my power verses, for it speaks of the goal of my life here lately. Paul had it right, because he talks about pressing in to accomplish his desired end.

Seminary school is hard.

I'm going to just throw that out there, because the reality is that I could NOT do this without His guidance and will in my life. I am smarter than any one person should realistically be (not arrogance, just a fact), but seminary transcends the limits of intelligence. Unlike secular education and knowledge, the added trial of spiritual warfare shows its ugly face every semester.

God is molding me to be stronger with each test.

This is my 3rd semester of intensives, and I am taking 3 classes (Systematic Theology I, Old Testament I, and Church History I). 8 weeks to acquire, apply, and utilize that much knowledge is probably insanity, but God makes this possible. Classes don't officially begin until Monday, but I am already ahead of the game! It is a Saturday night at 10:45, and while many of my contemporaries, and likely fellow believers, are spending the time in enjoyable pursuits, I have been doing schoolwork.

I have completed all of my reading and work for OT, chosen my research topic and first article to critique for THEO, and completed the discussion board post for HIST. I am thanking God for this time. The title of this entry speaks to the fact that I would rather be doing this than anything else.

I haven't forgotten about "The Truth" posts, but this comes first. Looking at what God creates in my life to accomplish His will strengthens me in the temptations that I face. Reading about the patriarchs and their faith and God's reward reminds me that living according to His will is far superior to my own perceptions of happiness.

God is good...why do we forget that sometimes in deference to our own wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment