Sunday, April 1, 2012

When It Hurts


I can’t stop crying…

Jesus Wept (John 11:35)

For the record, I’m not traditionally a “crier.” Don’t get me wrong, I’ll get to going pretty good during church, but for the most part, it takes a LOT to start the waterworks. Even when I do cry, it lasts for about 75 seconds, then it’s over…not this last week. It’s been all-out hysterical wailing, hyperventilating, puffy eyes, looking a hot mess, headache inducing crying jags.

I think the standard response for most people is to stem the flow of tears of another person as quickly as possible. In a world where crying is a sign of weakness, and generally overwhelming to watch, we often try to calm the person, instead of just letting them cry it out.

Jesus teaches us, however, that sometimes, the tears just must fall.

And I know it could be a lot worse…and that God’s got me…and that it’s all gonna be ok….that this is just a rough season…this too shall pass…blessed is the man(woman) who suffers for Christ.

GOT IT!!!!!!

But the cross beckons us to bring ALL our emotions and lay them down, no matter how messy, socially awkward, and inconvenient they may be. So if you see me crying (because this awful trying season has just begun), try to just let me get it out. Pray for me, remind me of the truth that sets me free (John 8:32), and if I still can’t hold it together and continue to cry, it’s OK!!!!



One of my favorite passages in the Bible speaks to the nature of our tears: God will wipe away every tear from their eyes (Revelation 21:4). For in the midst of my hysteria, as I put my head in my hands and the tears drop and cover my feet, reminding me of the immoral woman who bathed Jesus’ feet with her tears, I am reminded that He is always with us, that He never leaves us, and that our tears are just as precious as our laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment