Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Reason for it All

I work at a daycare.

Seriously, my job is a gift from God. Last summer, I had to quit my pharmacy job (click here for details). It paid well, I had benefits, and they worked with my schedule for school. Unfortunately, they gave me an ultimatum that I didn't like. So I quit on faith, and spent 4 months unemployed, relying on God's provision. It was tough, and when the time came to find a new source of income, I knew that part-time was the way to go, and didn't feel that pharmacy was the right path (even though it's been my field since I was 18).

On a Friday afternoon, I dropped off my resume at my current job, just on a whim. Monday morning at 7am, the owner called me, said she had an immediate opening, and wanted me to come in that morning for an interview. She told me that if they liked me, I would start that day. I went in at 9am, and 5 minutes later, she hired me on the spot. She sent me to do paperwork with the staffing agency, and asked me to come back at 1pm to start. God literally dropped my job in my lap, and knowing that, I understand that He is using this to transform and teach me something new.

The possibilities are varied:

  • To prepare me to teach.
  • To make me a better "traditional" female.
  • To get me ready to be a mommy (I love this possibility!).
  • To amplify the teachings on humility that have been occurring for the last 6 months.

The reality is that I have no clue of the purpose of this job. I was told when I was hired that I would be working with the 3 year olds, but after two weeks, they moved me to the afterschool (K-5th grade) group. Over the holidays, I sat with the infants and toddlers, and the new year has me floating between infants, afterschoolers, and the cleaning lady. The last one did not make me happy. When I saw the arrangements for the new year, I was irritated. When I woke up Monday, I was not looking forward to going to work. I didn't want to spend part of my day doing laundry and dishes...I wanted to be with the kiddos. And as bad as my attitude was the entire morning, I resolved to hide my dissatisfaction at work, and to accept my responsibilities as God's plan. 

We had an opening in the baby room (which is my favorite) right before the holidays, and I prayed about it. I shared with God that He knew my passion and heart for babies, and that if it was His will, that I be given that opening. Instead, He placed me in housekeeping. As I was exchanging laundry and washing dishes Monday, faking joy and acceptance and gratitude, I realized that I have no right to question God's plan. 

I HATE laundry and dishes...they are my two least favorite chores out of all of them. Indeed, right now, there is laundry in my dryer that needs to be put away, and dishes in the sink that need to be washed. I do not want to do either. God definitely has a sense of humor, putting me a position to do the exact things I hate on a daily, repetitive basis. But I want to be a traditional wife, and I want to have kids...these are things that I need to learn to embrace and enjoy doing, so that I can fulfill the desires that God has placed in my heart. 



She works with her hands in delight...She senses that her gain is good...She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.--Proverbs 31

He has much to teach me, and I am grateful for His love and kindness and faithfulness to make me closer daily to the Godly woman He intends me to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment